Installing PHP 8 on Raspbian is a lot easier when you have a decent guide for it. Found this one tonight: https://lindevs.com/install-php-8-0-on-raspberry-pi/
I finally got my underwater drone back in the water after a long winter hiatus, and I found something neat! https://youtu.be/KT-g50Rq-2o
@pollita if you could `composer install whoever/println`, then have a `use Whoever\println;` in your file that talks to the console, problem solved.
@pollita I like it! Looks super handy for my typical PHP usage. Of course, your point is also 100% correct (if a bit blunt).
But if we could just make functions "first class" (no pun intended), it wouldn't need to exist at the language level.
Went for a walk today & took a photo of an old rusted car wreck. I'd taken a photo of the same wreck 10 years ago, and thought it would be fun to try again. https://www.flickr.com/photos/beryllium/51030546331/in/dateposted/
The hull is actually much cleaner than the photo suggests; I think a lot of the speckledness is from light reflecting off the water, amplified by computer-driven postprocessing settings.
Sailboat photo from this weekend: https://flic.kr/p/2kJgNCV
Not my boat, although it could be for the low, low price of $15,900 CDN.
@saramg ... having enough energy to "do things" is a MYTH. We'll take our black times new roman on white bgcolor, with blue links and purple visited links, and we'll like it.
... well, anyway, I hope your eye is feeling better now.
I want to propose "final abstract class" as a solution to this: it can be extended, and the abstract methods can be added, but nothing more than that can be done. And the extended class has to be final itself.
Not ideal, but I discovered a way around this: reading inbound messages from the API and reacting to them locally. Aka, polling. 🤷 I guess it works, for now.
Maybe there's a way to do this same thing with array_* functions, but nothing came to mind.
I just came up with the most brutal hack to use array_reduce with short functions ... heh.
Since "add to the array" and "return the array" are two operations, I turned them into a single one by using a ternary:
fn ($carry, $item) =>
($carry[$item['category']] = $item)
It eventually came back online; after several further issues with exhausted memory, I finally figured out that `make -j4` was just too taxing for the system (Pi 3 Model B)